Follow by Email

Tuesday, July 4, 2017

July 4, 2017 Wildlife in Custer State Park


I get to spend a lot of time working alone when I am at Blue Bell Gate. Most days, my coworkers are of the wild variety, and I don’t mean party animals. Half the time I don’t have my camera with me, and sometimes, even when I do, they don’t sit still long enough for me to get my camera out. (those mountain bluebirds, I’ll get a photo soon). 









 



There are pronghorns that roam in the meadows all around. I heard about the fawns, but didn’t see them the first couple of weeks they were out. I happened to have my camera the other day when these two were walking by mom and baby. Of course, two days later when the other mom and the twins came by, I didn’t have it.

There are also some of the very large, older bulls that hang around sometimes. Usually they are just up the road hanging out in the shade near a creek. Just like this guy on my way home one day.


Then there are days when a large portion of the herd come to visit like they did the other day. That’s what people come to Custer State Park to see and we try our best to keep tabs on the herds throughout the day so we can send visitors in the right direction to get a good view of them. It’s nice at Blue Bell, there is plenty of room for cars to pull off to the side of the road and  a large parking area near the vault toilets. I just sit back and watch the circus. If people start walking out toward the herd, I’ll call and let law enforcement know so they can try to get the people back in their cars.

rut season is coming in August!


they like to rub

I'm not having my lunch outside today


Law enforcement likes to be notified anyway because they can help with traffic control and get people moving off the road. The cars will just stop in the middle of the road and there isn’t anyway to get around them. That’s what we call a real buffalo jam and they can last up to an hour. Darn tourists.


I finally did get a picture of that Mountain Bluebird.

No comments:

Post a Comment