Follow by Email

Sunday, May 7, 2017

May 7, 2017 On the road again

Hi.


I’m still here. And it is May 7. And we have been on the road for a week.

I still believe in what I wrote back in January. That I really need to focus and set aside time for what is important. It seems as though other things took precedence over writing. So instead of struggling with finding the time to write, I spent time preparing yoga classes, studying, riding in the RZR with Jay, hiking in the hills looking for petroglyphs and being with friends. All worthwhile endeavors.

In February, we decided to apply to work at Custer State Park in South Dakota. We sent in our applications and waited for the job postings to close at the end of the month. The first week in March we were notified that we had been selected for interviews. We scheduled them for the following week, and both thought we did well for a telephone interview. Then we waited. Jay was sure we didn’t get the jobs, because by Thursday the following week we still hadn’t heard anything from them. While I was shopping for groceries that afternoon, my phone rang and it was the supervisor from the park offering us the jobs. I bounced around the store like a ball in a pinball machine, so excited about getting the job. I should have just abandoned my cart, which was empty and gone home to give Jay the good news. 

I finished my shopping, managing to get most of what was on my list, but forgetting to use my coupons, and headed home. Jay had disbelief in his eyes when I told him we got the jobs, me, an entrance gate attendant, and him a campground attendant. Can we be there by May 9? I forgot to mention that the sale of our Montana 5th wheel went through this same week so now here we are with jobs but nothing to live in. Fortune came our way in the form of a 2012 Sundance 3000CK 5th wheel with money left over from the sale of the Montana for us to buy a 10’ utility trailer to tow the RZR. There were also some other things we need to gather for this adventure so the last 6 weeks we have been pretty busy.

As Spring was unfolding, I was waiting with anticipation the opening of the cactus blossoms and have been rewarded with some beautiful photos. The big crested saguaro in the desert behind our house has one arm that is low to the ground. I started visiting it about two weeks ago and saw it had a bunch of buds on it. Last week the first flower opened! Right at eye level so I could get some good pictures. Usually they are so high I can only get the bottom of the flower. This senior specimen also is home to a swarm of bees and a woodpecker nest. 



At the end of March I was blessed with a visit from a dear friend from Bellingham. She was going to Santa Fe and figured since she was going to be so close, a slight detour to see me was in order. I am so happy we were able to spend time together, even if it was short. 


I taught my regular schedule of yoga classes up to April 28 all while getting ready for our summer away from home. We have been on the road for 6 days, I wish I could say it has been uneventful, but that would be a lie. We are both fine and the cats are fine. You’ll have to come back to read the next installment of our adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment