Follow by Email

Monday, January 2, 2017

January 2, 2017 A New Year

I found this quote just the other day:

”Somebody once told me the definition of hell:
“On your last day on earth, the person you became will meet the person you could have become.” — Anonymous



This is the time of year when we reflect on the year that has passed and look at the coming year and typically set ourselves some resolutions as an attempt to make a better version of what we think we are. While I feel that I can always work to make changes, resolutions seem to always be this unattainable goal that sets me up for failure. What if I were to not make resolutions, but instead decide to set a vision of what I would like to see in my future. This way I can pause and look forward to what is happening and see if maybe I am already doing what I need to be doing. 

Instead of fretting over all that I didn’t achieve in a day, and feeling guilty sometimes for taking time out to enjoy something, why not look at what I did accomplish and tell myself, ‘great job! you did a lot today!’? Perhaps if I were to do that I would feel less stress and be able to relax a little more. 

Maybe if we all did this, set aside our need for accomplishment, improvement, of trying harder at something and set a vision for what it is about what we are doing that brings us joy and contentment. If setting a goal and working hard towards that goal doesn’t give you satisfaction or any pleasure in the process is there another way to get there? Maybe what you thought was a good resolution really isn’t what’s in your heart. Or if it truly is, but the process of getting there is causing you to be unhappy, maybe try to find another way to your goal.

I know that I will not be setting any resolutions this year. I haven’t decided on what my vision is yet, but I am taking time to look at what I am doing with my life at this time. Maybe I’ll see that what I am doing is enough. 


Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment