Follow by Email

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

January 10, 2017 Organization

The topic for today is organization. As I was thinking about this, I realized that already my vision for the beginning of this year needs some adjusting. Part of my schedule, my organization, is to make the time to write. To share something here with all of my faithful readers. I was going to make it a point to get these musings out here on Mondays. Well, Mondays aren’t going to work. I know, there have only been two of them so far this year, but I am teaching 4 classes on Mondays so making time for this blog on a Monday doesn’t make sense. So I’m going to aim for Tuesdays. Reorganizing. 

Organization is the key. The key to what though? When I did a Google search for this phrase I came up with it being the key to opportunity, the key to happiness, the key to success, the key to efficiency. So it looks like being organized can be pretty helpful. Why does it seem like such a struggle some days to be organized? Just think about that for a moment, what goes on when you wake up in the morning, you’re lying in bed thinking about all the wonderful things you’re going to do today, then at 4:00 in the afternoon you look back and wonder “what happened to my organization for today?”

In my quest to be organized, I do find myself at times making that the project. Especially when working with my creative endeavors such as knitting or sewing. I think that I have to have all of my needles in perfect order, they must be cataloged, sorted and stored in a certain way before I can begin the next project. Or, that all of my thread must be on the right spindle, grouped by color, then I can let go and begin the creative process for the quilt top. Well, I am continually working with letting go of what I feel to be a little extreme in organizing. It is nice to know where things are and what I have for tools that I need for my projects. But it’s also nice to just be able to find the yarn and the fabric and begin the project without being so concerned with everything having to be ‘just so’ before beginning.

A friend of mine reminded me not to make a project of the organizing, keep it simple and let things be. Focus my energy on the creative process, to give myself permission to do what is calling to my heart.

an attempt to organize yoga studies
One thing that does call to me is my yoga practice and sharing that with others. As you can tell by my teaching schedule. I need to remind myself though, to keep that organized and within limits. Part of that is scheduling study time, to not just drift through articles, chapters in books, or videos that look interesting. But to schedule time for those activities so I can be focused on that and be able to absorb the new information in a way I can retain some of it. For me this works, it might not be what works for you. I find if I have an uninterrupted block of time for study, then I remember more and am able to share it with others. At the end of my study time, I can clear my space and allow for the new information to be absorbed. 


And so goes my writing. If I set aside a block of time to write, then I write. No random internet surfing, housecleaning, or playing with the cats. Just writing for that time. Now I’m done writing for today, time to go prep for a private yoga session.

No comments:

Post a Comment